Cooking Up Some Love

A few things first...

I never follow a recipe as it is written. (That's just no fun.)
I never measure anything out exactly. (Also no fun.)

but most importantly

I NEVER FEEL BAD ABOUT WHAT I EAT.

That being said I always try to make what I like healthy... and still taste as good as the original thing. That, of course, is not always possible, but I come pretty darn close sometimes.

Tuesday, July 19

Italian Fishy Veggie Grilled Sandwich

This is my twist on grilled cheese and tomato soup which is one of Nathan's favorites, but I absolutely detest. So this one was completely spur of the moment yesterday.  We haven't gone grocery shopping in awhile because we're lazy, so it's pretty much the dregs of our refrigerator and cabinet, and I didn't think it would end up tasting all that great so I didn't get any pictures because I didn't figure I would put it up. Sorry guys. : /

Ingredients:

  • 4 pieces of 100% whole wheat double fiber bread (such as Nature's Own)
  • butter of a sort (such as Smart Balance light)
  • fresh parmesan reggiano
  • 4 baby portobello mushrooms
  • 1 slice of red onion
  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • one small can of tuna in water
  • 1 cup prepackaged spaghetti sauce (such as Classico)
Here we go!
  1. thinly slice the mushrooms and cook in a skillet until they start to leak
  2. leave the onion in big pieces but cook in the skillet until it begins to soften
  3. slice the tomatoes long ways into 4-6 slices
  4. slice the parmesan reggiano with a cheese grater that has a slicer side (WARNING: I totally sliced my thumb completely open on the grater while doing this so be VERY CAREFUL!!!)
  5. butter the outside sides of the bread for each sandwich
  6. layer the tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, tuna, and cheese on the sandwich
  7. place in the toaster oven at 350 for approximately 10-15 minutes (until they are crispy enough for you) (this can also be done in a skillet, george forman grill, oven, grill; you get the idea, but you will have to watch them more closely with some methods than with others)
  8. while the sandwiches are cooking, place the spaghetti sauce in a microwave safe bowl and heat for two minutes (I jazz up my sauce with extra spices such as garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary... just a thought)
  9. pull out the sandwiches and divide the sauce in half
  10. Start dunking that sandwich in the sauce and EAT UP! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment